Lower Back Pain Treatment Questions and Answers
If you live near Punxsutawney PA, you can find a top-rated lower back pain specialist at NuMedX! Our experienced and knowledgeable team has years of experience in successfully treating a wider variety of lower back pain conditions. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
We have all heard stories about someone’s aching back pain, often from older friends or relatives. It is easy to dismiss these complaints as something not so serious until it is us experiencing the level of discomfort of which they speak. Lower back pain is the most common type of pain affecting the back and has a number of different and diverse causes, from trauma to overuse to an underlying medical condition. Lower back pain can range from mild and temporary to severe and unbaiting. For some, it is not much more than a nuisance, but for others, it can be debilitating and interfere with the performance of normal day-to-day activities. Thankfully, for those suffering from lower back pain, there is hope: many treatments are available that can effectively relieve back pain and allow patients to continue living their normal lives.
What causes lower back pain?
Lower back pain can be caused by a number of different factors, from poor posture to congenital conditions, including:
- Disc injury
- Spinal stenosis
- Abnormal spine curvatures, including scoliosis, kyphosis, and lordosis
- Kidney and bladder problems
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibroids
How do you get rid of lower back pain?
There are many effective treatments that can help to relieve lower back pain, from manual therapy to lifestyle changes. The specific treatment chosen for each patient depends on a number of factors unique to each individual, including: the severity of the pain; the cause of the pain; if previous treatments have failed to provide relief; individual genetics/metabolism, and; how the patient responds to treatment. At NuMedX Punxsutawney PA, we offer the following treatment options for lower back pain:
- Arthritis Treatment — If back pain is caused by arthritis (joint inflammation), it can be relieved by addressing the underlying condition to reduce inflammation and promote tissue repair.
- Chiropractic Care — Often the first thing people think of when dealing with back pain is chiropractic care, and for good reason. Chiropractors are experienced at treating all kinds of back pain and provide a natural alleviation of pain that does not depend on surgery or prescription pain-relievers.
- High Intensity Laser — This specialized form of laser therapy stimulates cellular healing and is an all-natural form of pain relief.
- Hyaluronic Acid Injections — Hyaluronic acid (HA) is used to treat pain that is caused by osteoarthritis (OA), typically when other forms of treatment have failed to provide relief.
- Integrative Medicine — Many people have learned about the wonders of integrative medicine, which combines the best of both traditional and alternative therapies to provide patients with more treatment options that are effective and holistic.
- Physical Rehab Therapy — Physical rehabilitation is one of the most effective ways to recover from an injury, but its scope reaches far beyond that. It can also help people deal with pain that was not caused by trauma, helping them restraighten their bodies and relearn basic functions without pain.
- Spinal Decompression — Spinal decompression creates a negative pressure in the spaces between the vertebrae, allowing blood and healing nutrients to enter these areas when they normally cannot. This promotes self-healing in the spine in addition to the relief felt by the reduced pressure on the spinal column.
- Trigger Point Injections — Trigger point injections, or TPI, are injections composed of pain-relievers that target hyper-irritable taut bands of muscles known as trigger points. These areas often feel sensitive or painful to the touch and can also cause pain in other areas of the body.
How do you know if lower back pain is serious?
The following signs and symptoms may be indicative that back pain is serious:
- Sudden spike in pain, discomfort, weakness or numbness
- Loss of bladder function
- High fever
- Severe stomach pain
- Unexplainable weight loss
- The pain results from a fall or impact
If you are experiencing lower back pain, come to NuMedX Punxsutawney PA for professional care. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating lower back pain and can help you find relief, even if other treatments have failed to do so. Call us today at (814) 205-9052 to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 313 North Main Street, Punxsutawney, PA 15767. Our office is open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM. We serve patients from Punxsutawney PA, Big Run PA, Sykesville PA, Reynoldsville PA, Mahaffey PA, Home PA, Rochester Mills PA, Marion Center PA, Stump Creek PA, Rossiter PA, Dayton PA, and Luthersburg PA. Looking forward to serve you!